The client required to convert readily available 2D DWG files into 3D models in Allplan for architectural, structural and MEPF plans, of a multistory hospital building.
Allplan [For Architectural and Structural models], Navisworks and Revit [For MEPF models]
- The major challenge was interpreting engineering details in Turkish language, incorporated in 2D drawings
- Since 3D models were prepared in Allplan and 4D construction sequencing was to be prepared in NAVISWORKS, the export caused data losses. And as a result, project team went ahead with manual part tracing to identify clashing design elements and resolution
- Functional sensitivity and case sensitivity in nomenclature of design parts of Allplan software architecture too was a concern to maintain the element ID throughout the project
- Along with 3D models, the client also needed detailed BOQs, separately for each model.
- Three separate models for every discipline along with exterior surface finish model were prepared by Hi-Tech engineers from the existing 2D drawings
- 3D models with BOQs for interior room finish, doors and windows and structural requirements were prepared, which can further be used for decision making and construction management tasks using Allplan Architecture module and Revit
- A detailed report for BOQs was prepared with the specificities of finish codes and material finish using inbuilt features of Allplan
- There were some interdisciplinary clashes detected in 3D models which were brought to notice for design amendments
- A construction video for timeline and appropriate sequence was delivered using NAVISWORKS
- Pro-active approach of project team led them to study the information throughput in foreign language in DWG files, for better execution of project
- Multiple quality checks, feedbacks, maintaining quality register and random audits by quality managers ensured that 3D models and BOQs met the said standards before handing them over to client
- The entire project was completed within a timeframe of four months
- Interdisciplinary design clashes were detected at an early stage, way before the construction began, which saved cost and time
- Selecting Allplan for the design models helped a great deal in freezing the values for BOQs and achieving a near accurate values of project costs facilitating on-site billing for the client
- Early design changes and a real time construction sequence video helped in executing a hassle – free and error – free construction stage
- Partnership turned out to be economically advantageous and work-wise efficient for the client
Thanks for reading!
Please enjoy a limited number of articles over the next 30 days.
Free sign up for total access.
Already have an account? Then please sign in.
Hiral Patel is a news editor and has been contributing to the AEC industry since last 7 years. She mainly writes about the application of BIM across Architecture, MEP and Structural sectors. Her focus is towards encouraging construction companies, sub-contractors and architects to adopt right technologies to improve efficiency and profitability. Learn more