Industry: Construction and Engineering
Location: California, USA
Creation of information rich, intelligent BIM with architectural, structural and MEP details for a 6 storied building in California
The drawings and building details were converted into intelligent BIM with LOD 300, for material take offs, project coordination, scheduling and clash detection.
A California based construction and engineering company approached Hi-Tech with a project, to create information rich intelligent BIM for a residence Inn – A 6 storied building with a basement for car parking.
The construction area, spread across 10,500 sq. ft. The client wanted BIM with LOD 300, for architectural, MEP and structural disciplines. The primary reason of outsourcing BIM services was to avail detailed documentation, to detect and mitigate clashes at an early stage and make the construction process efficient and cost effective.
- The structural drafts and specifications were missing in the input files provided by the client
- On request, these details were provided however, the process consumed a lot of time
- The side cutting fields at the basement were problematic, where the dimensions and survey points were not matching
- Inputs received as .PDF files, were successfully converted into BIM for architectural and MEP disciplines
- Inputs for structural discipline were missing; hence, the details were generated based on engineering assumptions. Waiting for the inputs from client, could have delayed the project.
- At a later stage when the missing information arrived, it was found that the engineering assumptions were 90% accurate. Required iterations were done in the 3D Revit model.
- A Building information model with architectural, structural and MEP details was ready.
- Finally, the model was analyzed, for coordination and clash detection. All the clashes were detected and mitigated.
- Information rich, intelligent BIM with LOD 300 for effective material take offs, project coordination, and scheduling was prepared.
- Engineering assumptions made by the BIM experts, for the missing structural data, were 90% accurate.
- Even after the delays in receiving structural details and input files from the client, the project was successfully executed within the set time frame of 6 weeks.
- Clash detection helped clients detect and mitigate clashes at an early stage, and save the massive costs of mitigating these clashes at the time of actual construction.
- The material takes offs, and project scheduling estimates provided, reduced the overall time and cost of construction, and made the process seamless, coordinated and error free.
Thanks for reading!
Please enjoy a limited number of articles over the next 30 days.
Free sign up for total access.
Already have an account? Then please sign in.
Gaurang Trivedi is a senior engineering consultant at TrueCADD. His specialization includes CAD/CAE and energy modeling, some of the core competency services at the company. Besides, he also oversees the editorial content, coordinating with sub-editors and writers, thus efficiently managing the website’s news and blog sections.Learn more