St Vincent's University Hospital is the national adult referral center for cystic fibrosis patients in Ireland. However, it is accepted and recognized that the quality of the current bed capacity at the hospital does not meet the guidelines for Irish healthcare. Thus, the new ward block development will make a major contribution to improving patient care. It will accommodate patients whose medical requirements necessitate single en suite facilities and will reflect best practice in terms of infection control. The project comprises the design, build and financing of a new 7 story ward block over basement of 10,600 sq. meters on the St. Vincent's Healthcare Campus in Dublin, Ireland. This new ward block will replace the inadequate existing Cystic Fibrosis accommodation and provide 100 single en suite inpatient rooms to accommodate Cystic Fibrosis, Liver disease, Oncology and other specialties. It will also provide CF patients with ancillary support accommodation, including a 10-bed day treatment unit with en-suite sanitary facilities which are an essential part of approach to CF treatment to prevent cross infection. The construction work includes the procurement, coordination, installation, commissioning and validation of all medical F.F&E. Work commenced in November 2010 and completion is planned for April 2012. The value of the project is €22 million.
St. Vincent's Healthcare Group is a not-for-profit health promoting organization, focusing on health promotion and delivery of care. Through developing the links with the community and other voluntary based organizations, St. Vincent's Healthcare Group built an integrated system of healthcare including St. Vincent's University Hospital, St. Vincent's Private Hospital and St. Michael's Hospital. The
John Paul Construction is a main contracting firm, in existence for over 60 years and has successfully delivered over 1300 construction projects, across a broad range of construction sectors. The company is headquartered in Dublin, with a regional office in Cork and International offices in London and Abu Dhabi. With the core business offering being that of construction, the company provides an integrated service across all of sector interests including: healthcare, higher education, commercial, residential, industrial, sports & leisure and civil infrastructure work. Over the years, John Paul Construction has built a strong expertise in delivering contracts that include: Design & Build (including Finance); Turnkey with FF&E; Traditional Build and Management Contracts. With the commitment to deliver enhanced value at every stage of construction to the highest standards of health & safety, John Paul Construction has established a strong reputation in offering excellent quality and innovation whilst also developing long-term relationships with clients.
As the project is being constructed in a "Live" Healthcare Campus, John Paul Construction wanted a tool that could clearly demonstrate to the client the logistical constraints involved in constructing a project of this nature. Synchro was also used to demonstrate the programme merits in using a precast framed structure as opposed to the original reinforced concrete designed structure.
- Visual capability for the entire construction team to instantly and clearly visualize the project
- User friendly interface
- Compatibility with other scheduling software tools, in this case ASTA Power Project
- Ability to display the surrounding environment and site logistics/temporary works
- Quality of final presentation to Client and Design Team members
What Synchro provided?
- One to one tailored training to suit John Paul Constructions' requirements
- 3D modelling service through a recommended third party
- Responsive technical back up and support
- Synchro provided the Client with a clear understanding of the complexities involved in constructing the project, which were not clearly apparent from 2D drawings
- Synchro was used to demonstrate pour dates and divide sections of works for the precast frame, concrete and external envelope subcontractors
- Synchro was used by the Site Management Team to test "What If" scenarios particularly in relation to deciding pour sequences. This was invaluable as the structure adopted a tiered construction approach in two distinct sections
Contractors / Fabricators - John Paul Construction
Vendors - Synchro Ltd
Thanks for reading!
Please enjoy a limited number of articles over the next 30 days.
For total access log in to your The BIM Hub account. Or register now, it's free.